Welcome, fellow foodies! Today, we’re going to make dry rub chicken wings, which are a classic recipe for game day. These wings are just the right amount of spicy, salty, and satisfying. I’ve been mastering this chicken wings recipe for years, and let me tell you, it’s a real winner.
I’m sure that once you try one of these wings, you’ll be hooked. So get your ingredients together, put on your aprons, and let’s get cooking!
And just a heads up, you might want to make twice as many of these because these chicken wings could fly off your plate. 🙂
The Best Dry Rub Chicken Wings
This amazing recipe for oven-baked dry-rub chicken wings will surely blow your taste buds away. Not only is it easy to make, but you probably already have all the simple ingredients you need in your kitchen. But don’t be fooled by how simple they appear. These wings are bursting with flavor.
The dry rub makes the skin crispy and caramelized, but the meat remains juicy and tender. Even my popular recipe for Blackstone griddle chicken wings is made with this rub. They are the perfect addition to a movie date, backyard barbecue, family get-together, or game-day party.
You can eat these wings alone or with your favorite sauce or dip. I strongly recommend Louisiana hot sauce, garlic parmesan sauce, chipotle lime sauce, Chick-Fil-A sauce, Arby’s Bronco Berry Sauce, and Popeye’s blackened ranch sauce; they go well with vegetables or any other side dish. Plus, you can use an air fryer to make them even crispier.
Ingredients you’ll need
Brown Sugar: A little bit of brown sugar helps to balance out all that heat and makes this treat even more delicious.
Spices: We’ve also added a delicious blend of seasonings, including salt, paprika, chili powder, garlic and onion powders, cumin, chipotle powder, oregano and black pepper.
You can trust me; your taste buds will sing a song with these spices.
Chicken Wings: For the chicken wings themselves, we suggest using a mix of flats and drumettes. Just make sure to cut off those annoying wingtips.
Oil: As for the oil, any kind with a neutral taste will do. It will assist the spices adhering to the chicken and give the skin that crispiness we all crave.
How to make Dry Rub Chicken Wings
Step 1: First, take the chicken wings out of the package and give them a quick rinse. Dry the wings using a paper towel and put them on a kitchen tray.
Step 2: In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients: salt, paprika, chili powder, garlic and onion powders, cumin, chipotle powder, oregano, black pepper, and brown sugar.
Step 3: Add a small amount of oil to the wings and then spread the dry rub mixture evenly over them.
Step 4: Heat your oven to 400F and place a baking rack on top of a tray (line the tray with parchment paper or foil to avoid any mess). Place the seasoned wings on the rack and put the tray in the middle of the oven. Bake your wings for 20 minutes, then flip them over and bake for another 20 minutes.
Step 5: Once the wings are done, take them out of the oven and let them cool off for a couple of minutes. Serve the wings with your choice of sides, sauces, or dips, and enjoy!
Air-Fryer Dry Rub Chicken Wings
Step 1: Remove your chicken wings from their package and give them a quick rinse. Dry off your chicken wings using a paper towel and place them on a kitchen tray.
Step 2: In a small bowl, mix all the dry ingredients. Salt, paprika, garlic and onion powders, chili powder, cumin, chipotle powder, oregano, black pepper, and brown sugar.
Step 3: Add a bit of oil to the wings, and then cover them evenly with the dry rub mixture. Set a baking rack on top of a tray and line the tray with foil or parchment paper to keep things clean.
Step 4: Set your air fryer to 400F for 5 minutes to heat it up.
Step 5: Arrange one layer of chicken wings in the basket of the air fryer. Air-fry your chicken wings for 8 minutes or until the outside is golden brown and the inside is moist and tender. Take the chicken wings out of the basket.
Tips and suggestions
- Make sure to mix your dry rub well so that all the herbs and spices are spread out evenly. You can also try different dry rubs, such as, dried thyme, dried basil, dried rosemary or lemon pepper, peri peri, or cajun, for a unique twist.
- If you have time, place your seasoned wings in the fridge for a few hours to really let the flavors fuse.
- Line your baking sheet with foil or baking paper before putting the oven rack on top to make cleanup easy.
- Make sure to leave a little bit of room between the wings on the rack so they all cook at the same rate. And don’t put too much on the rack; a little space goes a long way.
- Lastly, give the chicken wings a few minutes to rest before serving so that the flavors can fully blend. Enjoy!
Dry Rub Chicken Wings Recipe
Our dry rub recipe makes wings that are juicy and flavorful on the inside and crispy and golden on the outside. You can be sure that these chicken wings will be the highlight of your next cookout, game-day party, or casual weeknight meal. So, let’s start cooking, and remember, make double batches cause these could fly off your plate fast!
- 3 pounds of chicken wings (around 36 drumettes flats chicken wings)
- 2 Tbsp of brown sugar
- 2 tsp of sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp of paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 1/2 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tsp of chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp of dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil
- First, rinse and dry the chicken wings with a paper towel. Arrange them on a tray.
- Next, mix the salt, paprika, chili powder, garlic and onion powders, cumin, chipotle powder, oregano, black pepper, and brown sugar together in a small bowl.
- Then, brush a little oil on the wings and cover them well with the dry rub mix.
- Set your oven to 400F and put a baking rack on a tray lined with parchment paper or foil.
- Place the wings on the rack, and bake for 20 minutes. Flip the wings over and bake them for 20 minutes more.
- Take the wings out of the oven when they’re done, and let them cool for a few minutes. Serve with the sides, sauces, or dips you like best and enjoy!
Spruce up your Pinterest board (and your dinner menu) with some spice! These wings, with a dry rub, are easy to make and taste great. Share the love with your followers and let them in on the tasty secret.