Today I’m here with another fun and exciting recipe, and I’m going to show you how to make famous Japanese Taiyaki. This unique recipe serves as a snack as well as a dessert. You can make this recipe with your kids and believe me! Your…
Author: Cooking Frog
Do you love the taste of churros? If so, then you’ll want to try Cinnamon Keto Pork Rinds because they have the same buttery, sugary, and cinnamon taste like churros. The best part is they have no carbohydrates! It is the perfect way to maintain…
Portillo’s restaurant, located in Chicago, is famous for its Chicago-style food with an unmatched flavor like Hot Dogs, Sandwiches, Maxwell Street Polish, and Italian Beef, but what most people don’t know about his restaurant is that they also serve a very soft, moist, mouthwatering chocolate flavored cake. People from far off places visit his restaurant to taste this soft and spongy chocolate cake.
Good News! You can make this amazing cake in your kitchen without visiting Portillo’s restaurant. I’ve got this amazing recipe recently and was so surprised when I tried this at home. Honestly, it surpassed my expectations. It tastes exactly like the original Portillo’s cake. And the good thing is its recipe is so simple and has only a few simple ingredients.
I am so excited to share the easiest and simplest recipe for this amazing cake today. It’s a copycat recipe for this Portillo’s Chocolate Cake. If you are a fan of cakes and deserts, then you’re surely gonna love this cake recipe. Your kids are definitely gonna love it.
Portillo’s Chocolate Cake
It is one of the softest, moistest, lightest, and sweetest cake you can ever make. Its delicious chocolate taste is simply unmatchable. This cake is sooo finger-licking gooood. You are definitely gonna enjoy each and every bite of this cake. I’m sharing this recipe with you so that you can make this wonderful cake on your own and enjoy the delicious rich chocolaty flavor without going to the restaurant.
This is the simplest and the quickest recipe and even newbies can make a wonderful cake out of it easily. This cake is so simple yet so delicious. It is appropriate for many occasions and celebrations. You can also try it anytime without any special occasion just to enjoy its great flavor. So, make it for your loved ones and get ready to hear the words of appreciation.
This copycat recipe is the best of all the recipes out there and your cake will definitely taste like the real thing. To your surprise! This cake recipe includes mayonnaise. This is the basic ingredient that makes this cake so moist and soft. Adding mayonnaise to the cake recipe may sound weird, but, trust me! Mayonnaise is nothing more than a mixture of oil and egg yolks. That’s exactly what you add to a cake recipe. Right? So don’t hesitate and try out this recipe without a doubt.
Pin the image below if you like this recipe!
So let’s move forward to the recipe!!!!
Portillos Chocolate cake Copycat Recipe
By: Cooking Frog
- • 1 box Betty Crocker Cake Mix
- • 3 Eggs
- • 1 cup ice-cold water
- • 1 cup Mayonnaise
- • 2 cans of Betty Crocker’s chocolate frosting.
- Step 1 • Heat the oven to 350°F. Take two round pans of 9-inches each. Grease the pans well with oil or butter.
- Step 2 • Take a large bowl and add cake mix, water, eggs, and mayonnaise in it. Slowly mix the ingredients for 30 seconds. Now increase the speed to high and mix for 4 minutes.
- Step 3 • Pour an equal amount of cake batter in both pans.
- Step 4 • Place these pans in the preheated baking oven and bake the cakes for 30 – 32 minutes. After 32 minutes pierce a toothpick in the middle of the cakes. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cakes are ready.
- Step 5 • Rest the cakes for 5 minutes. Now remove cakes from the pans. Place them on the cooling racks and let them cool for about an hour.
- Step 6 • Place one cake on a plate and spread 3/4th of the frosting on top. Now place the other cake on top of it and pour the remaining 1/4th part of the frosting on top of it. Now use your skills to decorate the cake and Serve!
Yes! This recipe begins with the Betty Crocker cake mix. The eggs give a structure to your cake and make the cake fudgy and spongy. Mayonnaise will make this cake moist and soft. Vinegar present in the mayonnaise balances the sweet flavor of sugar in the cake. Another plus point of this recipe, you don’t have to make the frosting by yourself. If you can use the readymade frosting, then why bother making it at home 😉
Tips to Bake the Best Portillos Chocolate Cake Cake
- Use the eggs at room temperature.
- Remember not to overmix the cake batter. Overmixing the batter makes the cake dry and hard. Mix the batter until all the ingredients are mixed well.
- You can also add a bit of coffee to enhance the rich chocolaty flavor of the cake and makes it even more delicious. Don’t worry, your cake won’t get the taste of the coffee. Just 1tsp of the espresso powder is enough to do the magic.
- Don’t open the cake during baking. Doing so alters the temperature inside the oven and your cake may not be baked well.
Check out more popular copycat recipes:
Shoyu Chicken is one of the most popular dishes of the Hawaiian restaurant. This juicy and chicken is savory and sweet at the same time. Give it a try and it would instantly make a place in your favorites list. It’s so simple and easy…
Today, I’m here with another amazing recipe for a sweet and tangy flavored Key Lime Cake. I would describe this cake as a bright, rich, and fluffy treat for spring. This incredibly easy Key Lime Cake with a delicious Key Lime Cream Cheese Frosting gives you…
These uniquely delicious recipe for chicken leg-quarters are marinated with many flavors using the famous wet rub which takes their taste to the next level. They have juicy and tender meat inside covered with a crispy golden layer of the skin and are finger-licking good. It’s a budget-friendly and amazing recipe that will surely impress your family.
Oven-Baked Chicken Leg Quarters
I mostly share the recipes that are patience-friendly and budget-friendly at the same time and these mouthwatering oven-baked chicken quarters recipe is one of them. These chicken legs quarters are quite simple and cheap but when you season them with wet rub loaded with multiple flavors and bake them in the oven, you will get an amazing dish just like the fancy dishes you order in the restaurants. The oven’s heat must be turned up in the very end to make the skin nicely golden and crispier.
It’s an easy and simple recipe that can be prepared in no time. You can get the chicken ready in no more than 5 minutes. Once seasoned, you can put the chicken in the oven for almost one hour. During this one hour, you will be free to make side dishes of your meal plan. Baking the chicken is no fuss at all unless you don’t know how to do it right. Here I’ve got you the simplest yet delicious recipe with clear instructions that even a newbie can follow it easily to bake the perfect Chicken Leg Quarters.
Best Method to Bake the Chicken Legs
The best technique to make a tender and juicy chicken is to start at a low temperature and finish at a high temperature to get the crispier chicken skin. Baking it in the oven is a bit time taking but it takes only 5 minutes to do the preparations by hand.
The Juice in the Baking Pan
The juice that accumulates at the bottom of the baking pan is super delicious and can be used best if dripped on the vegetables you plan to serve with the chicken. Or you can use it as a gravy for your potatoes and serves them with the leg quarters.
Baking Time for Chicken Leg Quarters
You can try the same recipe for different meat cuts as well. Baking time varies with different meat cuts. You can perfectly make your bone-in, skin-on cut with this recipe because it gives you a moist, and flavorful chicken by following just a few simple steps. You should check your chicken pieces with a thermometer if you are using meat cuts other than the chicken leg quarters.
Should the chicken skin be removed?
No! Absolutely not. Chicken skin gives a unique and delicious taste just like the bones. Its golden brown color gives it a look of the fancy restaurant foods. Chicken leg quarters are higher in calories so you won’t cook every day. But it’s a good option to go for once in a while.
Are these Chicken Leg Quarters healthy?
Chicken, irrespective of the cut you choose, is always a great protein source. Chicken breast is the best part of the meat as it’s a low-fat and low-calorie source of protein which is the best option for calorie-conscious people.
For how long can you store these Chicken Legs?
You can store these chicken leg quarters for 3 – 4 days in an airtight container or ziplock plastic bags. Whatever you choose, the container or the plastic bag, make sure to line it with a paper towel at the bottom to soak the excess liquid and prevent the chicken from getting soggy. It is recommended to reheat the chicken in the oven to make the skin crispier again.
Wet Rub for Chicken Legs
Here is how to make an amazing seasoning for your chicken legs. This amazing seasoning not only enhances the taste of the chicken but also gives it an unmatched aroma you will quickly become a fan of. The secret for making the leg quarters so amazingly delicious is this wet rub that you can easily prepare by yourself.
To make the wet rub, just mix some chili powder, smoked paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and olive oil. All these ingredients are full of superb flavors that give a mouthwatering taste to your chicken legs.
In the recipe section, I will give you measurements of its ingredients. The best thing about this rub is that you can adjust the quantity of its ingredients as per your taste. For example, If you like the Smokey flavor of the paprika, you can add it more than mentioned in the recipe section. You can also use this rub for your whole chicken, for baking, grilling, or you can even use it in your vegetable recipes. To prepare the wet rub, just combine all the dry ingredients in the bowl and add some olive oil in it and mix well. Your wet rub is ready. You can save some for your vegetable dishes as well.
Some Important Tips:
- One of the most important steps to make the skin crispier is to pat dry the chicken legs before applying the wet rub. Pat dry the chicken using a paper towel. The paper towel will absorb all the excess moisture from the chicken and the wet rub will stick to the chicken better.
- It is recommended to use the chicken at room temperature. Just take the chicken out of the fridge a few minutes before seasoning it with dry rub. This will help you make an evenly cooked chicken.
- During grilling, meats are seasoned with different rubs that tend to burn when sugar is used in its seasoning. But nothing to worry about here. This wet rub doesn’t contain any sugar.
Chicken Leg Quarters Recipe Baked
By: Cooking Frog
- 4 Chicken Leg Quarters (Bone-in & Skin-on)
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoons Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Salt (Preferably Kosher)
- 1 tablespoon Smoked Paprika Powder
- 8 Small Red Potatoes
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 Large Carrots (Diced)
- Step 1 For wet rub, just combine all the dry ingredients (spices) in a small bowl and add olive oil in it. Don’t forget to save some for the vegetables.
- Step 2 Pat dry the Chicken legs with the paper towel. Now apply the wet rub evenly on the chicken. You can rub it easily with your hands but you can also use gloves if you are not comfortable. Use your fingers to apply rub directly on the meat inside the skin.
- Step 3 After applying the rub evenly, place the chicken legs in the baking sheet and bake them for 40 – 60 minutes at 400°F.
- Step 4 Cut the vegetables in your desired shape and place them in the baking pan. Add the rub you saved earlier in the vegetables and place them in the baking oven after the chicken has been cooked for about 20 – 25 minutes as vegetables don’t take long to be cooked. You can bake the vegetables and the chicken together if you want to. But it will make your vegetables a bit softer.
If you like these Chicken leg quorters recipe, please check out these recipes below:
Today we’ll be making Copycat of Sweet Martha’s Cookies famous recipe and it’s really easy if you follow the directions. These delicious crispy cookies with a chewy inside come from my own recipe inspired by Sweet Martha’s cookie jar at Minnesota State Fair. If I…
Sorullitos de Maíz recipe aka Sorullos are the most amazing corn fritters from Puerto Rico which are soft inside and crispy outside. In Puerto Rico, these fritters are served as breakfast, appetizer, or as a side dish. You can add some cheese to make it…
If you planning to serve a different styled Turkey for this Thanksgiving, then, believe me, Smoked Turkey is the best option for you. It goes well with the other special occasions and would definitely earn you a lot of appreciation. If you never got a chance to the tender delicacy of a perfect Smoked Turkey, then it’s time to try it now. It takes the simple turkey to another level of taste.
It’s different from standard Roasted Turkey but it’s really worth trying. Smoked Turkey has a unique taste that you will fall in love with immediately. This different styled Turkey will definitely serve as a show stopper for your Thanksgiving meal. This recipe is very simple and even a newbie can make it with a perfect taste and look.
Although Turkey is mostly enjoyed in summer, fall is the perfect season to replace your regular roasted Turkey with this amazing recipe in the Thanksgiving meal plan.
Smoked Turkey for Thanksgiving
Smoked Tukey is not only amazingly delicious but also has this tempting smell that you’ll quickly fall in love with. It’s a lot more beneficial than typical roasted Turkey. The biggest advantage of smoking Turkey instead of roasting is that it would free up your oven and you will be able to use the oven for making other dishes in your meal plan. So it will definitely save your time by enabling you to make more dishes at the same time. It has an amazing taste and mouthwatering aroma that will bring a splendid change in your Thanksgiving. Smoking the turkey maintains its taste and also adds a smoky flavor to your Turkey. Smoking the turkey retains the tenderness and moisture in it. It’s easier to cook just like Roasted Turkey and also gets cooked in the same or a little more time.
Given below is all the detailed and necessary smoke your bird perfectly. Just carefully follow the simple steps and get ready to earn holiday fame and a lot of appreciation from everyone.
Temperature for Smoking Turkey
The key to a make a perfect smoked turkey is indirect heat and steady temperatures. Maintain the temperature of your grill to 225°F during the whole cooking time. If you are using gas, then turn on half of the burners to medium-low flame and keep the remaining burners off. For a charcoal grill, preheat the coals until they’re ashed over, tip them on the far side of the grill, and open the vents up to 25%. For a dedicated smoker, preheat the grill at 225°F.
If you are using a gas grill, add chips to the smoker box and generate the smoke. For charcoal, place the wood pieces directly in the burning coals. If you are using a smoker, follow the manufacturer’s instructions to smoke your turkey perfectly. Whatever method your use, just make sure you get the thin, swirling, and tinted blue smoke coming out of your grill vents.
Preparations for smoking Turkey
First of all, take the defrosted turkey out of the packaging. Now remove its neck and giblets from the inner side of the bird. If you’ve bought a brined turkey, rinse its exterior carefully with cold water.
Next pat dry the turkey with a paper towel. Now use the butcher’s twine to tie both legs together and tuck the tips of the wings behind the shoulder joint. Doing so will keep the tips from burning and will create an eye-catching presentation of your Tukey.
Coat the exterior side of Turkey with melted butter or olive oil and then season the best sweet rub on all the sides of the bird. If you’ve brined your turkey, it will be already be marinated enough and won’t require any additional seasoning on its exterior. It’s better to still coat it lightly with melted butter or olive oil to get the crispier skin.
Stuffing the interior of turkey before smoking is not recommended. Because by the time the stuffing gets cooked properly, the exterior meat of the bird gets overcooked. You can use onions, herbs, apples, or citrus to stuff your turkey and to get their additional flavor. Don’t overfill the turkey so that the air circulates throughout the bird. Don’t forget to discard the stuffing after you are done smoking.
Smoking time for a Turkey
Once your smoker gets ready, it’s time to place your bird on the grill! Keep the breast side up on the grill grate breast side up on the side of the grill with indirect heat. If you are using gas or charcoal (which usually has a slightly higher temperature on one side of the grill), rotate the turkey several times during the cooking process for cooking evenly.
It will take approx. 30 minutes per each pound of the turkey at 225°F. If you’ve set your smoker’s temperature at 250°F, it will take 25 minutes for each pound. For example, a 15-pound turkey will be properly cooked in 7 1/2 hours at 225°F. I always estimate additional half an hour more, just in case… if it gets cooked in time lesser than the estimated time, then wrap cooked Turkey in aluminum foil place aside until the remaining items are ready.
I recommend not to smoke a Turkey heavier than 15 pounds but it will take too long to cook. Your turkey will be sitting in the danger zone of food safety at 40-140°F for way too long and you there will be the risk of bacteria contaminating and spoiling your turkey even before it’s done.
Serving Per person
As we have smoked turkeys lesser than 15-pounds so it will serve 11/2 pounds of meat per person. Keep it in mind, you’ll be cooking the whole turkey along with skin, bones, wingtips, etc. that won’t be consumed at the Thanksgiving dinner.
11/2 pounds will be sufficient for everybody you’ll also get leftovers to make sandwiches the next day. A 15-pound turkey will be enough for serving a family of 10-12. If you have more family members, don’t cook bigger birds rather go for cooking multiple turkeys!
Smoked Turkey Drippings
Use a dripping pan to catch the drippings and to maintain the moisture in your smoker environment. I usually place an aluminum pan in the grill beneath my turkey.
Add several cups of water in the pan at the start of the smoking. This water is likely to evaporate within the process so don’t forget to refill the pan if the water dries up, and make sure it has few cups of water throughout the smoking. Once your turkey is cooked, use these drippings collected in the pan as the tastier gravy for your Turkey.
More detailed Temperature for Smoked Turkey
The safest temperature for cooking a perfect smoked Turkey is 165°F. Make sure to achieve the correct internal temperature to retain its juiciness and to ensure food safety.
Start checking if the turkey is done an hour before the estimated time because every bird has a different cooking time. Check properly in between the cooking to make sure the meat does not get overcooked. Check the temperature of the breast and thighs of the turkey using an instant-read thermometer. Make sure to check both sides of the turkey, ESPECIALLY if you are using a charcoal or gas grill which usually has higher temperatures than the other grills.
Go off of the lowest reading you’ll get on each side of the turkey. Once all the temperature readings exceed 165°F, it’s time to dish out the turkey in a large platter or on a cutting board.
Turkey should rest for about 15 min before serving. And if Turkey gets cooked before that, wrap it in the aluminum foil and add more layers of paper towels around the foil to insulate the towels to keep it hot until serving. Doing so will make the skin a little softer. To make it crispier gain, just broil the turkey for 1 – 2 minutes. Now it’s up to you if you are a dark or light meat person!
- A 15 pound defrosted turkey
- 2 – 3 Tablespoons melted butter or olive oil
- 2 – 3 Tablespoons Signature Sweet Rub
- 4 cups of water (at the start of smoking and add more when required)
- Preheat the grill of your choice at 225°F for indirect smoking. If you are using gas, then turn on the one-half of the burners at a medium-low flame and leave the remaining burners off. For charcoal, preheat the coals until they’re ashed over, tip them on the far side of the grill, and open the vents up to 25%. For a dedicated smoker, preheat the grill at 225°F. Add wood pieces to get the thin, swirling, and tinted blue smoke coming out of your grill vents.
- Now, take the defrosted turkey out of the packaging. Now remove its neck and giblets from the inner side of the bird. If you’ve bought a brined turkey, rinse its exterior carefully with cold water. Pat dry the turkey with a paper towel. Now use the butcher’s twine to tie both legs together and tuck the tips of the wings behind the shoulder joint.
- Now coat the exterior side of Turkey with melted butter or olive oil and then season the best sweet rub on all the sides of the bird.
- It will take approx. 30 minutes per each pound of the turkey at 225°F. If you’ve set your smoker’s temperature at 250°F, it will take 25 minutes for each pound. For example, a 15-pound turkey will be properly cooked in 7 1/2 hours at 225°F. I always estimate an additional half an hour more, just in case…
- Check the temperature of the breast and thighs of the turkey using an instant-read thermometer. Make sure to check both sides of the turkey, ESPECIALLY if you are using a charcoal or gas grill which usually has higher temperatures than the other grills. Go off of the lowest reading you’ll get on each side of the turkey. Once all the temperature readings exceed 165°F, it’s time to dish out the turkey in a large platter or on a cutting board.
- Rest the turkey for 15 minutes for serving. If your Turkey gets cooked before the estimated time, just wrap it in the aluminum foil and add a few more layers of paper towel around the foil to properly insulate the towels to insulate it to keep it hot until serving.
- Now you just have to decide if you like dark or light meat. Cut Turkey into pieces, and enjoy the mouthwatering deliciousness in every bite of the meat. Happy Thanksgiving!
If you want to try some amazing vegetable recipes, then look no further. I’ve got you the best and the most delicious recipe ever and it’s (CPK) California Pizza Kitchen Buffalo Cauliflower Bites Copycat recipe. Who likes cauliflower here? I became its fan recently when…