In the world of cooking, beef tenderloin holds a special place, well known for its tenderness and rich flavor profile. When paired with the innovative cooking method of an air fryer, this prime cut transforms into a gourmet chef-d’oeuvre.
Imagine a beef tenderloin marinated with the aromatic herb duo of rosemary and thyme, seasoned with the perfect pinch of salt, and given a light undertone of garlic; all brought to life with the shine of light olive oil.
Understanding the Beef Tenderloin
Before plunging into the cooking method, it’s vital to understand the cut you’re working with. Beef tenderloin, often referred to as the ‘king of steaks,’ is prized for its tenderness. Its soft texture and rich flavor make it a favorite for special occasions and gourmet dinners. And if you like this recipe, be sure to check one of the most popular recipes on this site, air fryer pork tenderloin!
Why the Air Fryer?
The air fryer, a modern kitchen phenomenon, offers several advantages:
Consistent Cooking: The circulating hot air ensures even cooking, eliminating the risk of hot spots.
Time Efficiency: Quicker than traditional ovens, it brings meals to the table in no time.
Benefits: The tiniest oil usage is a more beneficial alternative, letting the meat’s natural flavors shine through.
Preparation: Marinating and Seasoning
The magnificence of this dish lies in its simplicity. Combining rosemary, thyme, salt, and garlic powder creates a marinade that improves the beef’s natural flavors without overwhelming them. Light olive oil acts as a binder, ensuring the seasonings adhere to the meat and achieving that golden crust.
Cooking to Perfection
Preheat: Always start with a preheated air fryer. Set it to 390°F / 190°C.
Marinate: Coat your beef tenderloin evenly with the seasoning mix, covering every inch.
Placement: Lay your beef in the air fryer basket, ensuring it doesn’t touch the sides.
Cooking: Set the air-fryer temperature to 380°F / 190°C. Cook 18-21 minutes for medium rare, flipping your tenderloin halfway through cooking. The duration will vary based on desired doneness, but frequent temperature checks will ensure perfection.
Resting: A critical step. Once cooked, let the beef rest for 5-10 minutes, allowing the juices to redistribute.
Beef Tenderloin Doneness Guide
Rare: 13-17 mins (125°F/ 52°C)
Medium Rare: 18-21 mins (135°F/ 57°C)
Medium: 22-26 mins (145°F/ 63°C)
Medium Well: 27-31 mins (150°F/ 66°C)
Well Done: 32-36 mins (160°F/ 71°C)
Air-Fryer Beef Tenderloin Recipe
Ready to make this juicy air fryer beef tenderloin”? With your ingredients at hand, let’s guide you step-by-step to accomplish that perfect roast. It’s time to get that air fryer working its magic!
- 1lb/ 450g beef tenderloin
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of rosemary and thyme (fresh or dried)
- ¼ tsp of garlic powder
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Before you start, ensure your air fryer is preheated to 390°F (190°C). This step is important as it delivers a consistent cooking environment right from the start.
- Marinate the Beef: Using a mixing bowl, combine the light olive oil, rosemary, thyme, salt, and garlic powder. Stir well until you have a uniform mixture. Lay the beef tenderloin on a tray or plate and generously brush or rub the marinade over it, ensuring it’s equally coated on all sides.
- Positioning the Beef: Gently place the marinated beef tenderloin into your air fryer basket. Ensure it’s centrally placed and not touching the sides to allow for even air circulation.
- Initial Cooking: Set your air fryer to 380°F (190°C)., and cook for 18-21 minutes for medium rare. Allow your beef tenderloin to cook undisturbed for half the total cooking time based on your desired level of doneness (refer to the doneness guide).
- Flipping for Evenness: After the initial cooking stage, using tongs or a spatula, carefully flip your beef tenderloin to its other side. This ensures even cooking and a uniform crust on both sides.
- Complete the Cooking: Keep cooking the beef tenderloin for the remaining duration. It’s a good practice to check the beef’s internal temperature using a meat thermometer to avoid over or under-cooking.
- Resting the Beef: Remove it from the air fryer once your beef tenderloin reaches the desired internal temperature. Transfer it to a plate or cutting board and cover it loosely with aluminum foil. Allow it to rest for 5-10 minutes. This resting phase lets the juices redistribute within the beef, ensuring each slice is moist and flavorful.
- Slicing and Serving: Use a sharp knife to slice the beef tenderloin against the grain after resting. This method ensures maximum tenderness. Serve the slices immediately, paired with your choice of side dishes.
Have you made this beefy chef-d’oeuvre in your air fryer? Loved it? Snap it and pin it on Pinterest. Good food should be shared, don’t you think?
Variations to Spice Up Your Beef Tenderloin Recipe
The magnificence of a traditional recipe like the air fryer beef tenderloin is its adaptability. Here are some variations to consider, each bringing a special twist to your dining table:
- Ingredients: Swap out rosemary and thyme for other fresh herbs like basil, oregano, or parsley.
- Instructions: Follow the same marinating procedure, ensuring the beef is well-coated with the new herb blend.
- Serving Suggestion: This variation pairs beautifully with a light pasta salad or garlic bread.
- Ingredients: Add a teaspoon of chili flakes or cayenne pepper to the marinade for a spicy touch.
- Instructions: Mix the spicy ingredients with the standard marinade ingredients and coat the beef tenderloin evenly.
- Serving Suggestion: Complete the spicy beef with a cooling side, like a cucumber salad or a yogurt-based dip.
- Ingredients: Add soy sauce, ginger paste, and a touch of honey to the marinade.
- Instructions: Incorporate the new ingredients with the olive oil, ensuring a balanced mix. Marinate the beef tenderloin as usual.
- Serving Suggestion: Serve with steamed jasmine rice or stir-fried vegetables for a complete Asian-inspired meal.
- Ingredients: Add lemon zest, crushed garlic, and a sprinkle of feta cheese.
- Instructions: Mix the Mediterranean ingredients with the standard marinade ingredients. After cooking, sprinkle the crumbled feta over the beef slices.
- Serving Suggestion: A side of Greek salad or roasted Mediterranean vegetables would perfectly match.
Sweet and Savory:
- Ingredients: Add a bit of brown sugar or maple syrup to the marinade.
- Instructions: Mix the sweet element with the regular marinade, ensuring the beef is well-coated. The sugar will caramelize during cooking, delivering a delightful crust.
- Serving Suggestion: This variation pairs well with roasted sweet potatoes or a fresh apple slaw.
More Delicious Air-Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Pork Steak: Juicy pork steak, air-fried to perfection.
Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Breast: Tender chicken, straight from frozen.
Quick and Easy Air Fryer Brats: Flavor-packed brats, ready in no time.
Crispy Air Fryer Corn Dogs: Carnival-style corn dogs, crispy delight.
Air-Fryer Salmon Bites in Pineapple Bowl: Savory salmon meets sweet pineapple.