Swiss Stromboli and Ham is a perfect meal because you can serve it for dinner or breakfast or just a quick snack. This meal is universal in that regard because it can be the main meal or a side dish. Everyone will love it, that’s for sure.
This recipe has the best of both worlds: the gooey, cheesy inside of a stromboli and the smoky, savory flavor of ham. Trust me, you won’t be able to say no to this combination. The dough is made from refrigerated crusty French loaf or pizza dough, and ham, Swiss cheese, and other tasty ingredients are put inside.
You can also add some of your favorite vegetables to make it even tastier. This recipe is great for a family dinner on the weekend or a dinner party where you want to impress your guests. So, put on your chef’s hat, roll up your sleeves, and let’s get started. And don’t worry; the stromboli will taste great even if you burn them. Just fooling (or am I?).
What is Stromboli?
Stromboli is like Pizza’s wild and mischievous cousin. It’s like a calzone, but the ingredients are rolled up in the dough instead of being stuffed inside. This gives it a unique and delicious flavor that’s different from regular pizza.
One of the greatest parts about Stromboli is that it can be made with a wide range of ingredients. You can use classic pizza ingredients like cheese and meat or get artistic and try more complex combinations. For example, the Swiss Stromboli is a popular variation that combines cheeses and cold cuts. It’s like a fancy sandwich, but even better! One of the best things about Stromboli is that it is an adaptable dish that can be enjoyed in many ways.
It can be eaten as a main dish or as a snack. It is also a great dish to serve at parties or other gatherings. It tastes like pizza but has a surprise inside, like a piñata in your mouth.
Can you freeze and reheat Swiss Stromboli with ham?
If you have Ham & Swiss Stromboli left over and don’t know what to do, freezing it is a great idea. Make sure to wrap the stromboli tightly in heavy-duty foil to keep it fresh. This will stop any air or moisture from getting in and ruining the food. Once it’s been allowed to cool, you can put it in the freezer. When you want to eat it again, just heat your oven to 375°F, put the frozen stromboli on a baking sheet that hasn’t been greased, and bake it until a thermometer stuck in the middle reads 165°F. This will make a perfect, warm, and tasty stromboli you can eat whenever you want.
Swiss Stromboli and Ham Recipe
Easy Ham & Swiss Stromboli is the Swiss Army knife of meals. Breakfast, sure. Brunch? Yes. Dinner? Double check! It’s so tasty that it’ll make all the other food green with envy. But don’t let how tasty it is fool you; it’s still super easy to make.
- 1 tube (11 ounces) refrigerated crusty French loaf ( you can substitute it with 1 pizza dough)
- 3 Tablespoons honey mustard mix
- 6 ounces of ham, sliced
- 1/4 cup of green onions, sliced
- 9 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup of Swiss Cheese, grated
- Preparation: Begin by preheating your oven to 400°F (205°C) to ensure it reaches the desired temperature by the time you’re ready to bake.
- Baking Sheet Setup: Take a baking sheet and line it with parchment paper. This will prevent the stromboli from sticking and make for easier cleanup.
- Dough Preparation: On the prepared baking sheet, gently roll out your French loaf dough. If you don’t have a French loaf, pizza dough is a suitable alternative. Ensure it’s spread evenly without any tears.
- Sauce Layer: Prepare a honey mustard mixture. Once ready, spread it uniformly over the entire surface of the dough. This will add a tangy sweetness to your stromboli.
- Filling: Start by layering sliced cheese of your choice, preferably one that melts well. Next, add a generous layer of ham slices. For added flavor and crunch, sprinkle prepared crispy bacon bits. Finally, scatter freshly chopped green onions for a burst of freshness.
- Rolling the Stromboli: Starting from one end, carefully roll the dough into a log shape. Once rolled, ensure the seam side is facing down on the baking sheet to prevent it from opening while baking.
- Toppings: Grate some Swiss cheese and sprinkle it over the top of your rolled stromboli. This will give a delightful cheesy crust once baked. Then, brush the surface with a beaten egg; this will give your stromboli a glossy finish. Finish off by lightly drizzling some olive oil for added richness.
- Baking: Place the stromboli in the preheated oven. Bake it for approximately 12 to 16 minutes. Keep an eye on it, and once the top turns a beautiful golden brown, it’s ready. The baking time might vary slightly based on your oven, so it’s good to check after 12 minutes.
- Serving: Once baked, allow it to cool for a few minutes. Slice and serve warm. Enjoy your delicious Swiss Stromboli with ham!
To make sure you don’t forget this recipe, you can save it to your Pinterest board or, better yet, keep it as a secret weapon for your next social gathering.