When it comes to holiday dinners, a beautifully glazed ham often takes center stage. But have you ever tried a Pineapple Honey Glazed Ham? This delightful twist on the classic ham is visually stunning and packed with flavors everyone will enjoy. Let’s dive into the world of this delicious ham and discover why it should be your next dinner centerpiece.
The Magic Behind Pineapple Honey Glazed Ham
The combination of pineapple and honey brings the ham a unique blend of sweetness and tartness. The brown sugar adds depth, while the pineapple slices and juice infuse the meat with a tropical flair. The maraschino cherries, aside from being decorative, balance out the flavors with their distinct taste.
Why Opt for This Glaze?
- Unparalleled Flavor Profile: The mix of brown sugar, pineapple, and honey creates a glaze that’s both sweet and tangy, enhancing the natural flavors of the ham.
- Visual Appeal: The pineapple slices and cherries not only add to the taste but also make the ham look festive and inviting.
- Versatility: This ham pairs well with various sides, from southern green beans to white rice, making it a versatile choice for any feast.
Pineapple Honey-Glazed Ham Recipe
- 10 Pound Spiral Ham (Bone-in, Fully cooked)
- 5-6 Pineapple Slices
- ½ Cup of Pineapple Juice (from the can)
- ½ Cup of Honey
- 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 5 to 6 Maraschino Cherries (16oz jar)
- 1 1/3 Tablespoon Maraschino Cherry Juice (from the jar)
- Gather Your Ingredients: Before starting, ensure you have all the ingredients on hand. This will make the process smoother and quicker.
- Preheat the Oven: Set your oven to 350°F (175°C). Giving it time to reach the desired temperature ensures even cooking.
Creating the Glaze:
3. Choose a Mixing Bowl: Opt for a medium-sized bowl that gives you enough space to mix without spilling.
- Combine Ingredients: Pour in the honey, brown sugar, pineapple juice, and cherry juice. Using a whisk or a spoon, mix until you achieve a smooth, consistent glaze.
Preparing the Ham:
5. Positioning: Place the ham in a baking dish, ensuring it’s on its side for even cooking and glazing.
- Decorative Touch: Attach a pineapple slice to the front of the ham. Then, secure a maraschino cherry in the center of the pineapple slice using a toothpick. This not only adds flavor but also gives a festive look.
Applying the Glaze:
7. Pour and Rub: Gently pour the glaze over the ham, ensuring it covers all parts. Using your hands or a brush, rub the glaze into the ham, making sure it seeps into the slices.
8. Cover the Ham: Using aluminum foil, cover the ham. This helps in retaining moisture and ensures even cooking. Be gentle to avoid disturbing the pineapple and cherry decorations.
- Initial Baking: Place the ham in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour. This allows the glaze to penetrate and flavor the meat.
- Basting: After 1 hour, carefully remove the ham from the oven. Using a baster or spoon, collect the juices from the bottom of the dish and pour them over the ham. This step enhances the flavor and keeps the ham moist.
- Final Baking: Return the ham to the oven, uncovered, and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until the top turns a golden brown and slightly charred.
12. Temperature Check: Before serving, it’s crucial to ensure the ham is cooked thoroughly. Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the ham. It should read at least 145°F (63°C).
13. Resting: Once out of the oven, let the ham rest for about 10-15 minutes. This allows the juices to redistribute, ensuring a moist slice.
- Slicing: Using a sharp knife, slice the ham against the grain for the tenderest cut.
Tried this Pineapple Honey-Glazed Ham and loved it? We bet your friends will too! Click below and pin it to your Pinterest board. A dish this good deserves to be shared.
Variations to Try
- Dijon Mustard: Introduce a tangy twist to your ham by adding a touch of Dijon mustard to the glaze. It brings out a sharp contrast to the sweetness, making every bite intriguing.
- Soda Glazes:
- 7-Up: A splash of 7-Up introduces a lemon-lime zest, adding a refreshing note to the ham.
- Coke: The caramel undertones of Coke can deepen the sweetness and give a unique caramelized flavor to the glaze.
- Cajun Ham: For those who enjoy a kick in their dishes, sprinkle a hint of Cajun seasoning into the glaze. It adds a spicy dimension that contrasts beautifully with the sweet glaze.
- Maple Syrup: Swap out some of the honey for maple syrup. This will give the ham a woodsy, autumnal flavor that’s especially great for fall feasts.
- Orange Zest and Juice: Add the zest and juice of an orange to the glaze for a citrusy punch. This variation is bright and perfect for spring celebrations.
- Rosemary Infusion: Add finely chopped rosemary to the glaze. Its aromatic and earthy tones complement the sweetness of the ham.
- Bourbon Glaze: Introduce a splash of bourbon to the glaze for a smoky and rich depth of flavor. This variation is perfect for an adult gathering.
- Peach Preserves: Mix in some peach preserves for a fruity and tangy twist. The peach flavor pairs wonderfully with the savory ham.
- Balsamic Reduction: Drizzle a balsamic reduction over the ham after glazing. Its tartness will cut through the sweetness and add a gourmet touch.
- Chipotle Adobo: For a smoky and spicy variation, add some chipotle in adobo sauce to the glaze. It brings a warm heat that’s tantalizingly delicious.
With these variations, you can customize your Pineapple Honey Glazed Ham to suit any occasion or palate. Experiment and find your favorite combination!
Storing and Common Queries
Storage: Store in an airtight bag or wrap loosely in aluminum foil and refrigerate.
Can you freeze-baked ham?
Yes, it’s possible to freeze for later use.
Is it gluten-free?
Absolutely, this ham is gluten-free.
Shelf life in the fridge?
Typically, 3-5 days.
What’s uncured ham?
It’s ham without any chemical preservatives, considered healthier.