A super simple homemade Maja Blanca recipe that I will teach how to make it so it’s nice and soft. The sweetness is not excessive and is packed with a rich corn and coconut flavor. You may use dry latik on the top to keep it classic or a grated cheese to keep it simple.
Maja balance is definitely one of my most favorite Filipino desserts. I just simply enjoy the creamy coconut consistency with the sweet corn and toasted coconut on top. It’s creamy, smooth, sweet and super flavorful.
What is “Maja Blanca”
Maja Blanca refers to a Filipino dessert that the locals usually make on festivities and special events, especially during Christmas time. The dessert is based on a coconut cream with corn kernels and milk. The recipe calls for the use of many milk types, coconut shreds and corn to produce a nice and sweet result with a gel-like texture.
But, while it looks fancy, it is actually quite easy to prepare. You only need a few simple ingredients and follow some simple steps..
How To Prepare Maja Blanca
Maja balance is actually very simple, despite looking fancy. The first step is to combine the coconut milk, the evaporated milk and the condensed canned milk in a bot and bring to a boil. Next, add the cornstarch to emulsify the mixture and finally pour the mix into a square pan and keep in the fridge to set.
While the mixture sets in the fridge, you may toast the coconut bits in a large pan. Then top the mixture with the toasted coconut bits to add a bit of crunch to each square. Voila, it is ready to enjoy!
- Coconut milk. This is the key milk that gives it most of its flavor. In this case, I used canned coconut milk as it is ricker.
- Evaporated milk, I prefer to use a mixture of evaporated milk, condensed milk, and ordinary milk. The condensed milk is sweeter while the other two are added to balance out the sweetness and amplify the milk flavor.
- Whole corn kernels. These enrich the consistency of the desert and I love to add them.
- The cornflour is used as a thickening agent and adds a texture that is similar to gelatin, which is typical in Maja Blanca.
- Unsweetened coconut shreds/flakes. I utilize unsweetened coconut shreds so the dessert is not too overpowering. The coconut flakes are toasted in a skillet before adding them to the top of the desert.
Maja Blanca Easy Recipe
- 1 can/400 ml coconut milk
- 1 can/355ml evaporated milk
- 1 can/300 ml condensed milk
- 1 cup whole corn kernels, drained
- ¾ cup ordinary milk
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Step 1 Oil the bottom and side of an 8” pan and keep aside.
- Step 2 Combine the coconut milk, evaporated milk, and condensed milk and bring them to a boil over medium heat, stirring regularly.
- Step 3 Add in the corn kernels and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Step 4 Combine the cornstarch and milk in a small mixing bowl and whisk until it is totally dissolved.
- Step 5 Add the cornstarch gradually into the pot whisking until the creamy mixture thickens to a paste.
- Step 6 Transfer the mixture into a prepared baking tray.
- Step 7 Let the mixture cool, seal and then place in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Step 8 Meanwhile, toss the coconut flakes in a wide pan over medium heat to toast, stirring regularly until browned.
- Step 9 Cut the paste into squares sprinkle with the toasted coconut on top to serve.
If you like this recipe, please check out the best Rice Krispie treats where we’ve tested 22 different recipes to pick the winner!