Today, I’m here with another amazing recipe for a sweet, tangy, flavored Key Lime Cake. I would describe this cake as a bright, rich, and fluffy treat for spring. This incredibly easy Key Lime Cake with a delicious Key Lime Cream Cheese Frosting gives you a tangy burst of flavor you’ll never forget. It’s also great for your special summer occasions!
This cake has a perfectly balanced flavor of sweet and tart. This soft and juicy cake has many layers and is a perfect choice for your next Special occasion. You can enjoy this yummy cake even without an occasion to enjoy its rich tangy flavor. This unique and refreshing lime-flavored cake will earn you greatly appreciated.
Key Lime Cake with delicious Key Lime Cream Cheese Frosting
The word Citrus makes us think of the spring season. This cake serves as a great springtime dessert. You can enjoy this cake any time, but it’s ideal for special events like Easter, St Patrick’s Day, and Mother’s Day.
Like always, I try to bring you simple and easy versions of complex and extensive recipes, ensuring they still have the same great taste and presentation. Here I am with another great but timesaving recipe that you can follow easily and the end result is simply outstanding. You won’t have to spend hours in the kitchen baking this cake. It’s easy and simple but still remarkable in taste and will surely exceed your expectations!!!
Tips & Tricks to make the Best Key Lime Cake:
Whip the eggs, oil, lime juice, whole milk, and lemon zest together for 2 – 3 minutes. It is highly recommended to use FRESH lime juice for this recipe. Fresh lime juice gives a different flavor to the cake. Zest the limes before squeezing them to collect the juice because it’s easier to zest the limes when they are round and harder.
Fold the dry ingredients in and pour the batter into the greased cake pans. It is very important to grease the cake pans before pouring the batter so that the cakes can come out of the pans easily. You can use either two 9-inches pans or three 8-inches cake pans. If you’re using three 8-inch cake pans, the cake layers will be thinner and baked in less time. You can also make this cake in a 9 x 13 pan.
After the cakes have been baked, set them aside to cool, meanwhile, prepare your frosting by whipping the softened cream and butter together for about 4 minutes until it becomes light and fluffy. This 4-minutes whipping makes the frosting extra light. Now add powdered sugar in the mixture and whip for just 1 minute. You can add more powdered sugar if you like the frosting a bit stiffer. Fold the lime zest and lime juice in the frosting.
Remove the cakes from the pan. Spread the frosting on the first cooled layer of the cake. Pace another layer of the cake on top of it. Spread the frosting on the top of the second layer too. An angled spatula can spread the frosting evenly on the cake layers. Garnish the cake with fresh lime slices.
Key Lime Cake Recipe
For Key Lime Cake:
- 2 cups of Flour
- 3 large Eggs
- 2 cups of Sugar
- 1 & 1/3 cup of Whole Milk
- 1 cup of Canola or Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon of Fresh Lime Juice
- 2 Tablespoons of Fresh Lime Zest
- 1 teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
For Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/2 cup softened Butter
- 8 ounces of softened Cream Cheese
- 4 to 41/2 cups of Caster Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of Fresh Lime Zest
- 1 Tablespoon of Fresh Lime Juice
- Fresh Lime Slices for Garnishing.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Take a large mixing bowl and add whole milk, oil, eggs, lime juice, and lime zest in it. Whip them well for 2-3 minutes.
- Take another large bowl. Now add flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in it. Mix them well and stir into the egg mixture and fold softly.
- Take two 9-inch or three 8-inch cake pans and spray them with nonstick cooking spray. You can also use oil or butter to grease them. Pour the batter into the pans. If you’re using three 8-inch pans, bake them for 20-26 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. But if you’re using two 9-inch cake pans, bake the cakes for 30-36 minutes. When baked, take them out and let them cool.
- For Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Take a large bowl. In this bowl, mix the cream cheese and butter together for 4-5 minutes until it becomes light and fluffy. Keep scraping the sides of the bowl frequently. Now add powdered sugar, lime zest, and lime juice in the mixture. Mix it well and chill the frosting.
- Remove the cakes from the pans. Place the first layer of the cake and spread frosting on top of it. Now place another layer of the cake over the first layer. Again spread the frosting on the top of the second layer. Place the third cooled layer on the top of the second layer. Spread the frosting all over the cake. Garnish it with freshly sliced lime pieces.