Here is the recipe for the perfect Vanilla sponge cake. This super-soft, easy-to-make vanilla sponge cake is the best delight for any occasion.
Whether it’s your daughter’s birthday or you want to make your Christmas eve memorable, my easy cake recipe will let to celebrate your special events to the next level.
When a soft and spongy cake, layered with the fluffy and creamy frosting, enters your mouth, the taste and flavor will amaze you leaving a lasting impression on your taste buds.
Without any delay, just get into the recipe and make your day sweet and smiley.
Vanilla Cake Ingredients
- All-Purpose Flour: 2 ½ Cups
- Buttermilk: 1 cup
- Baking powder: 1 TBSP
- Salt: ½ TSP
- Soft unsalted butter: 1 cup
- Eggs: 4
- Pure vanilla extract: 4 TSP
- Granulated sugar: 1 ½ Cup
Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
- Unsalted butter: 1 ½ cups
- Castor sugar: 5 Cups
- Vanilla extract: 4 TSP
- Heavy cream: 5 TBSP
- Salt: ¼ TSP
- Preheat the oven to 350F with the rack in the center of the oven.
- Next, brush the sides and bottom of two 9-inch baking pans with melted butter. Then, sprinkle some flour on the baking pan. Tap the sides to remove extra flour. These two steps will help in the easy release of baked sponge cake.
- Take a medium-sized bowl. Add in the flour, baking powder, and half a teaspoon of salt. Mix everything together.
- To a bowl of a standing mixer, add unsalted butter and granulated sugar. Now beat everything on medium to high speed for 5 minutes.
- Once you see the fluffiness in the bowl, add in eggs. Beat one egg at a time, then add another egg. Make sure each egg is well-mixed with the butter and sugar mix before adding the next egg.
- Next, add in the vanilla extract.
- Then, whisk in the dry ingredients, followed by the addition of buttermilk. Beat until everything is combined.
- Now divide this batter into two baking pans and spread them evenly.
- Now bake the cake in the oven at 350F for 3o minutes.
- When a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, you are done with making your sponge vanilla cake.
- Allow the cakes to rest for 10 minutes before taking them out of their pan.
- Now let the cake cool down completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, move on to making vanilla buttercream frosting.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Preparation
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat your unsalted butter for 5 minutes at high speed, until it gets a light creamy texture.
- When the butter is evenly blended, add in 1 tablespoon of castor sugar, beat it, and well incorporate following another tablespoon of sugar.
- When the sugar is well-beaten in parts, add in the vanilla extract.
- To make a thick consistency, add heavy cream into the bowl. Beat it.
- The best vanilla frosting is ready to make your sponge cake more delightful and yummy.
- Place the first layer of cake on the cake platter, cover it with a layer of frosting. Put on the second cake layer and evenly apply frosting on the cake.
- Now decorate the cake according to your choice.
- Your perfect vanilla sponge cake layered with fluffy and creamy frosting is ready to go.
Tips & Tricks
- Accurately weigh all the ingredients.
- Sift powdered ingredients to make a smooth and clumps-free batter.
- Use ingredients at room temperature to make a smooth and thick batter.
- Avoid over mixing the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients to achieve the desired texture.
- Add all the wet ingredients in the right amount, e.g., use large eggs rather than small eggs.
- The batter must be evenly divided in both pans. Using a kitchen scale will help you in the equal division of the batter in both pans.
- Always allow the cake to cool completely, or otherwise, your frosting will melt, making your cake the least tempting.
Pin the image below if you like this vanilla sponge cake recipe!
How to store vanilla sponge cake?
To best store a vanilla sponge cake, wrap the slices of cake in a cling film and then place them in an air-tight box. This way, you can store the cake for 4 to 5 days. Cling-wrapping the cake will keep it moist and soft. If you want to store the cake for longer, then you can go refrigerate the cake for 1 week.
What if my cake is undercooked?
If your cake is not properly cooked in the given time, it means your oven was not preheated. Note the temperature of the oven with the help of a thermometer and bake the cake for a few minutes more until the skewer comes out dry and clean.
What adds fluffiness to the sponge vanilla cake?
The softness and fluffiness in the sponge vanilla cake are the results of the creaming process. When the butter is mixed with sugar, the creaming process occurs due to the entrapment of the tiny air bubbles. This makes your cake aerated and fluffy. The release of carbon dioxide gas by rising agents plus these air bubbles contributes to the fluffy texture of the cake while baking.
Why my vanilla sponge cake always gets deflated?
A vanilla sponge cake is more prone to deflating than any other type of cake because it contains eggs in large proportions. It also contains the air in large amounts. When the cake is allowed to cool, it gets deflated due to the release of heat. To fix this, make sure the door of the oven is closed properly to maintain the required amount of heat in the oven.
Serving size: 1 slice (89g)
- Calories in one slice: 330
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fats: 16g
- Proteins: 3g
Vanilla sponge cake is just a perfect fit to make your day memorable. I have best tried to write for you the simplest and easiest cake recipe. I hope you liked it, and if you really did, get into the recipe and give it a try.
Share this delicious cake recipe with your loved ones and add some sweetness to their life.