Red Potato Creamy Soup is the soup your whole family will enjoy. Filled with baked potatoes, chives, cheddar cheese, sour cream and bacon, this soup totally fits into a category of comfort foods.
How to make Red Potato Creamy Soup?
- Cut previously washed red potatoes into small cubes, and dice the onions, celery and carrot.
- Over a medium heat, cook the bacon in a large pot. Cook to your desired dononess.
- After the bacon is cooked, place it on a paper towel and press to remove all the excess grease. Chop the bacon coarsely.
- Leave about 3 tablespoons of bacon fat, drain of all the rest.
- Add in the celery, onion and carrot and cook for about 6 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. 30 seconds before it’s done add the garlic in.
- Place in the red potatoes and toss all to coat nicely.
- Pour in around 50 ounces of water and add 6 normal sized chicken bouillon cubes
- Cook to a boiling point and reduce the heat and cook until the red potatoes are tender. It should take around 10 minutes more.
- Mash down some of the potatoes using a potato masher, but leave some chunks.
- Melt down the butter in another bowl and whisk in the flour slowly. Cook for 60 seconds on medium heat.
- Add two cups of milk, very slowly, until thickened enough. The milk used should be at room temperature. Season with salt and pepper.
- For the potatoes: add in 2 more cups of milk, cream mixture, sour cream, green onions or chives, 16 ounces of cheese and one half of previously cooked bacon.
- Cook and stir slowly, until the cheese is melted nicely.
- Top each serving bowl with remaining cheese, bacon and chives or onions.
Ingredients for Red Potato Creamy Soup
- 1 package of bacon, smoked
- 1 Green onion
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 Carrot, large
- 2 teaspoon of garlic, minced
- 2 pounds of red potatoes, sliced in cubes
- 6 regular size chicken bouillon cubes
- 8 Tablespoons of butter
- 12 Tablespoons of flour
- 4 cups of milk
- 8 ounces of sour cream
- 18 ounces of cheddar cheese, separated
- Pepper and salt
- Green onions or chives