Homemade Spaghetti and Meatballs recipe is one of my favorite and most delicious pasta recipes. Because Spaghetti and meatballs done well is one of the best meals and that’s is a fact. Well at least in my family.
- For the meatballs
- 1 chopped carrot
- 2 chopped stalks celery
- 1 chopped onion
- Half pound of ground beef, half pound of pork and half pound of ground veal
- 1 beaten whole egg
- 1 clove of chopped garlic
- Teaspoon of oregano, dried
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- Cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- For the sauce
- 1⁄4 cup of olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 or more teaspoons of salt
- 2 bay leaves, dried of fresh
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper
- 3 cans of tomatoes 14.5 oz cans
- 1 cup Grana Padano , grated. Or you can choose Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 12 ounces package, or homemade
Homemade Spaghetti and Meatballs
For the Spaghetti
- Take a large pot, pour the water in and heat to a boiling point. Add the salt. Add pasta to a boiling water and cook for about 10-12 minutes, be careful not to overcook. Save half a cup of pasta water for later and drain the pasta.
For the Meatballs
- Preheat the oven to around 425 F
- Mix the celery, onion and carrot in the food processor. Process it by pulsing so you make a nice pestata texture.
- Pour the pestata into a large bowl and add the meat, parsley, oregano, eggs, salt and bread crumbs. Use your hands to mix it nicely and to combine well.
- Scoop out the mix with the measuring cup so you can take even portions, and roll the mixture with your hand so make the meatballs
- Place the meatballs on a lined baking sheet. Bake for about 16-19 minutes, or until they are browned nicely.
For the sauce
- Take a large pot and heat to medium temperature. Pour in olive oil and add in the onion and garlic. Saute for a few minutes. Pour in the water from previously cooked pasta and simmer for about 2-3 minutes.
- After the water has cooked away from the pot, add in red pepper, the bay leaves and a teaspoon of salt. Cook for about 1-2 minutes and add in the tomatoes. Take out the canned tomatoes and pout into bowl with 4 cups of hot water. Add to the pot and bring the sauce to a simmer, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the meatballs to a sauce and simmer by shaking the pan to mix them nicely. Cook until the sauce is thick enough, it should take about 30 minutes.
- Pour the spaghetti back to a pot they were cooked in and add the sauce, without meatballs. Place in the hot bowl and add the meatballs, and more sauce, to your liking.