Spread the love
Homemade Spaghetti and Meatballs recipe is one of my favorite and most delicious pasta recipes. Because Spaghetti and meatballs done well is one of the best meals and that’s is a fact. Well at least in my family.
How to Make Spaghetti and Meatballs?
For the Spaghetti
- Take a large pot, pour the water in and heat to a boiling point. Add the salt. Add pasta to a boiling water and cook for about 10-12 minutes, be careful not to overcook. Save half a cup of pasta water for later and drain the pasta.
- For the Meatballs
- Preheat the oven to around 425 F
- Mix the celery, onion and carrot in the food processor. Process it by pulsing so you make a nice pestata texture.
- Pour the pestata into a large bowl and add the meat, parsley, oregano, eggs, salt and bread crumbs. Use your hands to mix it nicely and to combine well.
- Scoop out the mix with the measuring cup so you can take even portions, and roll the mixture with your hand so make the meatballs
- Place the meatballs on a lined baking sheet. Bake for about 16-19 minutes, or until they are browned nicely.
For the sauce
- Take a large pot and heat to medium temperature. Pour in olive oil and add in the onion and garlic. Saute for a few minutes. Pour in the water from previously cooked pasta and simmer for about 2-3 minutes.
- After the water has cooked away from the pot, add in red pepper, the bay leaves and a teaspoon of salt. Cook for about 1-2 minutes and add in the tomatoes. Take out the canned tomatoes and pout into bowl with 4 cups of hot water. Add to the pot and bring the sauce to a simmer, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the meatballs to a sauce and simmer by shaking the pan to mix them nicely. Cook until the sauce is thick enough, it should take about 30 minutes.
- Pour the spaghetti back to a pot they were cooked in and add the sauce, without meatballs. Place in the hot bowl and add the meatballs, and more sauce, to your liking.
- For the meatballs
- 1 chopped carrot
- 2 chopped stalks celery
- 1 chopped onion
- Half pound of ground beef, half pound of pork and half pound of ground veal
- 1 beaten whole egg
- 1 clove of chopped garlic
- Teaspoon of oregano, dried
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- Cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- For the sauce
- 1⁄4 cup of olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 or more teaspoons of salt
- 2 bay leaves, dried of fresh
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper
- 3 cans of tomatoes
- 1 cup Grana Padano , grated. Or you can choose Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 12 ounces package, or homemade